If you are a skilled workforce and looking to start a career in Australia, a skilled Visa is the best choice for you. With this visa type, you can study, live, and work in Australia endlessly and will be eligible for a permanent visa.
What is a Skilled Visa?
A skilled Visa is intended for workers with some skills, which Australia needs. If you get a Skilled Visa, you can live permanently anywhere in Australia. Although there are numerous types of skilled visas, most are based on point-based Systems to select who will be assigned this visa among all its candidates. Normally, a Skilled Visa is applied for the following visa types:
- Skilled Independent(Subclass 189) Visa
- Skilled Nominated (Subclass 190) Visa
- Skilled Regional/ Provisional (Subclass 489) Visa
- Skilled Work Regional/ Provisional (Subclass 491) Visa
Who Are Eligible To Apply For A Skilled Visa?
Mostly, this type of Visa is Invite Only. It means you are eligible for a Skilled Visa only if you are invited to apply. To be qualified to receive an invitation, you need to meet the following requirements:
You must provide evidence that you have a suitable Skill Assessment, which was gained three years before the date of invitation.
Your profession, recognized through the Skill Assessment, needs to be listed in the skilled occupation list. However, the list may differ in types of skilled visas.
- Age needs to be under 45 years before you receive the Invitation.
- You need to have Competent English Test Results(6 in each IELTS band or equivalent in any other language test)
- The minimum eligible points are 65 points.
- It would help if you met the health and character criteria.
- It would help if you did not bear any dept from the Australian Government.
- It would help if you did not have a history of visa canceled or application refused
Which Type Of Skilled Visa Should I Apply For?
To apply for a skilled visa that is most fit for you, it is essential to understand the difference between visas. Generally, a Skilled Visa is classified into two categories:
A permanent Visa like a Skilled Independent (Subclass 189) Visa and Skilled Nominated (Subclass 190) Visa means that you can live, stay, and work in Australia permanently once a visa is issued.
Provisional Visa like Skilled Regional Visa (Subclass 489) and Skilled Work Regional(Subclass 491) Visa can grant you a period to stay and work in Australia temporarily.
Furthermore, each visa has its distinct requirement for its candidates. Don’t forget to check the requirements mentioned on the Department of Home Affairs(DHA) official website. You need to seek a visa.
For 190 Skilled Nominated Visa, it is required for candidates to be specified by the Australian Government or Territory Government Agency.
For 489 Skilled Regional Visa and Skilled Work Regional (Subclass 489) Visa, you need to be nominated by the Australian State or Territory or sponsored by an eligible relative. Additionally, you can live, work, and study in particular regional areas of Australia for the past two years.
For Skilled Independent (Subclass 189) Visa, you don’t need to be nominated by Stare or Territory. But it would help if you scored higher than the other types of visas to be invited.
Step-by-Step Process to Apply for a Skilled Visa
Since Skilled Visa is an Invite-Only type of visa, you must have an invitation to apply, so to get an invitation from the Australian Government, you need to submit an Expression of Interest via the Skill Select System to notify the Australian Home Affairs Department that you want to apply for this visa.
- Prepare all the required documents that support your claim to make in EOI, also evidence that you can meet the eligibility criteria of the visa you are applying for
- Once you got the Invitation, you need to apply for the visa within the next 60 days.
- After you apply for EOI, you will get a bridging visa before being granted the specific type of visa.
How Well Do You Know About The Point-Based System Used In Skilled Visa?
A Skilled Visa is dependent on a point-based System where points will be granted to you if you hold specific skills. The least number of scores you need to hold to be eligible for receiving an invitation is 65.
But, this point does not guarantee you will receive an invitation as other candidates may have a higher score. Additionally, you will be competing with other candidates for a limited number of invitations, normally allotted to the applicants with the highest score.
How to achieve higher points?
In the point-tested System, it would be best if you closely linked to the following criteria:
- Educational Qualification
- English Proficiency Test Results
- Skilled Employment Experience
- Professional Year Program in Australia
- Partners Skill
- Nomination by the State or Government or Sponsored by the eligible candidate
- Community Language Test
Also, you need to examine the complete skill assessment stated above to increase your points, which will advantage you over other visa candidates.
Overall, a Skilled visa uses a point-tested System to choose the most skilled candidate. The level of skill will be reflected in the mentioned points.
Comparing Skilled Independent (Subclass 189) Visa, Skilled Nominated (Subclass 190), and Skilled Regional (Subclass 489/491) Visa provides additional points to their candidates. However, they need supplementary requirements for their candidates, such as being nominated by the State or obligated to live in a regional area and more. So, make a wise decision while selecting types of skilled visas.
What is a 491 Visa?
Skilled Work Regional/ Provisional Visa is another name for 491. This visa targets the skilled workers that are nominated by the Australian State or Territory government. This visa lets the applicant live, study, and work in regional Australia for five years at most. Other than being nominated by the Australian Government, you need to have a valid application.
If you are thinking of applying for this visa, there are many things you need to know, including its advantages, eligibility criteria, the application process, and more. Once you got a 491 Visa, you will get all the facilities as an Australian Citizen.
- Can stay in Australia for five years
- Can live, study, and work in the nominated regional area of Australia
- Travel to and from Australia until the visa is valid
- Family members also can apply for this visa
- Eligible for Permanent Residence via Subclass 491 Skilled Work Regional Visa
- Stay in Australia for five years
- Live, study and work in a designated regional area of Australia
What Is The Eligibility Criteria For a 491 Visa?
To be eligible for this visa, you need to have the following criteria.
You need to be nominated by a State or Territory Government or Sponsored by an eligible relative. However, the selection process has its criteria.
- You need to be invited to apply for this visa
- Age should be under 45 years to apply for this visa.
- Need to have skill assessed by the related organization like ACS or Engineers Australia that needed to be conducted within three years before the time of Invitation
- The minimum point is 65 to be eligible for a point-tested system.
- Competent English Test Results need to be provided
- Your occupation needs to be listed in the select skill list for 491 Skilled Regional Visa.
- Need to meet health and character requirements for this visa
What Is The Method For Applying For A 491 Skilled Regional Visa?
Submit an Expression of Interest(EOI) via the Skill Select System to the Australia Home Affairs Department. Then wait for the Invitation.
Collect all the documents you need to prove that you are qualified to apply for the visa and all the claims you make in your EOI are not false.
Once you receive the Invitation, you can apply for this visa online.
After competition your application, you will be provided with a bridging visa during the time for processing the visa application. You will be notified of visa application results. If the application is successful, you will be provided with the visa number and its initiation date. If you are rejected, you will be provided with visa rejection reasons.
What Is The Advantage Of A 491 Skilled Regional Visa?
You must be familiar with the requirements of a 491 skilled regional visa is to stay in a regional area for a long period. Except for Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane, all others are classified as regional areas. So, it provides you with a wide range of options and flexibility to select the most favorable place for you.
Furthermore, there are additional advantages if you are an international student studying in regional areas for 2 years. Once you graduate, you will be eligible to apply for a graduate visa letting you stay in Australia for 3-4 years instead of 2 years.
Overall, if you are a skilled worker or overseas student willing to migrate to Australia or Australia’s regional areas for a long period, a 491 Skilled Regional Visa might be the best option for you. Similarly, it might be the pathway towards Permanent residency.
To apply for this visa, you need to be chosen by the State or territory and need to be offered EOI. Once you are invited to apply, you can lodge your application online, and the result will be sent after application processing is done.
Why Choose ACSRPLAustralia?
If you are still confused about anything involved in the Visa Application, consult ACSRPLAustralia for expert advice and guidelines. We also provide RPL Report Writing Service, proofreading, plagiarism removal, project management all with on-time delivery.